Thursday, March 17, 2011

Critique of this blog

In preparing/writing a couple unpublished posts over the past week, I’ve felt increasingly frustrated with my approach – it’s significant contradictions and failings. I had planned on finishing these posts before getting into a critique of my blog, but I feel like I shouldn’t put it off any more. It’s not fair to my readers or myself; while I’m proud of some of the things I’ve created here, I have some serious problems with certain aspects of this venture. I need to address these issues before I can move to create a more constructive and engaging space.

Now, in a momentary extension of my problematic methodology, let’s classify the problems with writing this style of blog!

Classification
In my last post, I wrote that "the oppression and suffering that these binaries justify is caused as much by the privileging of one side as by the exclusionary, essentializing nature of categorizing an entity within a dualistic framework." While I try to avoid invoking binaries as much as possible, my technique for exposing ideological contradictions has relied on classifying aspects of Master Subject ideology into distinct, separate realms that can scrutinized and deconstructed (i.e. this is the Culture:Nature binary, this is human:animal, etc). This activity in itself is a huge contradiction - I claim that I want to escape the limiting worldview that classifications impose and then use a categorical methodology to explain why. 

... when this visualization better demonstrates the big picture 




My categorizations might seem like this...


My classification of the different manifestations of ideology relies on simplifying complex issues down to essential traits that can then be organized into a kind of taxonomy. When I present each binary as a distinct, definable category that we can label onto different visual and linguistic representations, I'm afraid that this disavows the unity of the Master Subject ideology. The binaries I present aren't solitary, fixed social constructs - rather, they are meant to be used as a framework for understanding how human activities and values are frequently justified with intricately interconnected dualisms. When analyzing some cultural object, you'll always find several intersecting and parallel binaries that reinforce each other. Why? Because binaries are just different semiotic manifestations of the same ideology of violence and alienation. For example, look at these shoes:
Conflating Femininity with body parts, animals, violence and death
So I'm afraid my classifications imply a more fragmented picture of ideology than I intend. But I'm also worried that I seem to be promoting universal moral categories when I generalize and use words like "violence" or even "apathy" (both words rely on arbitrary binaries after all - violence:nonviolence, apathy:activism - definitions of each serve the interests of the definer). Really, I think if we're going to place a moral judgment onto something, it should be individually contextually/historically analyzed rather than deductively weighed based on a set of rigid laws of proper behavior.


Still, I think that last sentence is itself a general moral category in its own way ("Though shall not classify universal values!"), so I'd like to contradict it while clearing up a related point. When I say we need to oppose violence and indifference, I don't mean that there is never a good reason or use for violence or apathy. Rather, I see structural violence - cruelty, suffering, domination and exploitation that is systematically perpetrated in order to perpetuate economic and social-political power - as fundamentally ethically wrong. I universally condemn the apathy towards structural violence (even as I recognize it in myself) because indifference towards reality translates into complicity with and direct economic/political support for abuse and exploitation. Apathy is absolutely necessary towards the continuation of structural violence; as such, it is itself a form of structural violence - hidden and passive - but nevertheless deeply alienating and ideologically reinforced. 

Okay, let's get back on course again. What are some other problems with this blog that I can categorize?


Language

I have two main criticisms of this blog under the language umbrella. First is my particular use of language. The vocabulary I have used and developed consists of a lot of big words with complex meanings that might only be familiar to you if have some background in social science; combined with my flavor of confusing, tangential sentence and paragraph structures, readers almost certainly feel alienated. I really dislike how I use generalizing words frequently - we like to think this, humans do that, this is reality, etc - this kind of language is really misleading and not too useful. I think contextualized specificity is preferable; however, when I'm already making complex points it can be overbearing to try to precisely define each referent. Finally, some of the words I use have become buzzwords in advertisement, news and academia alike - sustainable, exploitation, alienation, etc. I'm afraid readers' might interpret my use of such lingo as lazy or an attempt at authenticity; really, I try to be as specific as possible in my word choice (even in my generalizations), and any buzzwords I use are not presented for their social capital but for their meanings and common usage.

My second main criticism relates more to the nature of language itself, as a medium of experience and communication. My issue here is that each individual reader's interpretation of the words on this screen is going to be filtered through their past experiences and associations with specific words and formats of presentation. Each reader will read this sentence differently and take unique meaning from it; this is kind of cool but, from an author's perspective, very frustrating as well because my readers' interpretations become more important than my original intentions. For more on my frustrations with the relationship between reader, writer and word, download a short metafictional story I wrote this quarter - "THE ROOM IS REAL". (this story relies on some seriously problematic, disturbing ideas and actions - which is why I'm not totally happy with how it turned out - you should be able to critique it pretty harshly using the binary framework I've developed in past posts)

Language abstracts reality into symbols that combine to form meaning. I dislike how this locates "meaning" outside of the physical world, as though interpretation or organization of abstractions were more important than the realities they seek to understand. In terms of animals, I see this problem in my blog in particular when I use that word - "animals" - a word which violently reduces the unimaginable diversity of species, individualities, experiences and possibilities of what it claims to represent into a single audial/visual object - the word "animal".

Given the limiting nature of language and the diverse possibilities for communication, I think it can be useful to try to think without or outside of language. How can we do this? I like using music to think about this, as music can construct and communicate meaning outside of the normal strictures of language. In the song "Prisencolinensinainciusoll" by Adriano Celentano, the Italian songwriter demonstrates how hearing English might sound to someone who can't understand a word:

To move even further outside of thinking with language, I like Brian Eno's "Matta" off of the awesome Apollo (Atmospheres and Soundtracks). "Matta" moves outside the language of traditional music composition, eschewing chord progressions, rhythm and melodic phrasing in favor of a focus on timbre, tension and chance. What kind of meaning does Eno project with this song? How do animals figure into his narrative?










Not much video to see here; I recommend listening while you continue to read the next category...


Mediation and Alienation
The original purpose of this blog was to expose the omnipresent realities of violence and apathy towards nonhuman animals. I decided that I should begin by discussing the dominant ideology that encourages such destructive and exploitative relationships. My issue with this approach is that so far, I feel like I've distanced my readers further from the reality by presenting violence as abstract - as a problem with our ideas rather than our actions.

The truth is that violence is very real and looks, sounds, smells and feels far uglier than any words on a screen ever can. What's more, structural violence against nonhuman animals is so prevalent and destructive (environmentally and morally) precisely because it is made invisible through layers of economic, visual, and linguistic mediation. What do I mean by this?


Pig or pork? Which images are you more likely to see? Which body parts will you (and are you willing) to touch? Why?

I mean that we are alienated from the reality - the histories, experiences, and individualities - of the animals we use and the violence perpetrated against them. In language, this works through euphemism - muscle is called "meat"; hunted animals are "game"; in scientific research, killing animals to harvest their body parts is "tissue collection"; in the "animal husbandry" industry, selective killing of animals with unprofitable traits is "culling", and so on. Visually, this works through the idealized representations of animals we see everyday on TV, in newspapers,  Google image searches and advertisements, as well as the sanitized presentations of animals and their body parts that we see wrapped in plastic at the grocery store, and in the exhibition areas of pets stores and zoos. Economically, the structure of many animal-dependent industries relies on specialization in a certain process along an alienated chain of production. In the animal flesh industry, this means that different humans breed the animals, confine and feed them, transport them, slaughter them, dissect them, package them, transport them again, sell them, and cook and eat them. This method of production distances the consumer from the means of production, as well as the producers from their product.

I think that this blog furthers (sub)urbanites' alienation from nonhuman animals when it discusses real violence in general terms, as a problem of ideology rather than of actions. Let me try to be clear here - I could care less about ideas and ideology if they had no effect on how individuals treat each other and their environment. Unfortunately, systems of thinking which are more rooted in history rather than in rational self-interest directly cause marginalization and systematic violence towards others. Therefore, I think it's necessary to confront dominant ideology. But I'm unsure whether using symbols (language) to approach an abstract concept (ideology) on an alienating virtual platform (the internet) is the best way to change how people act in the "real world".

Moreover, should I focus on helping humans become less oppressive, or directly helping nonhuman beings escape oppression? I worry that I'm veiling my activism behind these layers of mediation in order to hide myself from the painful, difficult work that needs to be done in order to really affect change.
Above is a scene from the movie END:CIV, which argues global civilization is an unsustainable, ecological catastrophe, and that we must take direct action for environmentalist causes in order to save what remains of life on earth. The film has some seriously problematic bases(it narrativizes the future, invokes the Culture:Nature binary, and seems anti-scientific), but it also raises some intriguing questions about social movements and powers that accommodate them.

Control
My unilateral ownership of this blog has disturbed me from the beginning. It doesn't make much sense for a project that stresses the necessity of dialogue, togetherness and a radical reassessment of dominant ways of thinking to be run without collaboration on a platform that reinforces traditional norms of hierarchical control of a minority (the writer, who decides what is presented) over a majority (readers who cannot affect what they read).


I seriously feel like I'm writing a textbook sometimes. I hate that. I am not an expert - I may be trying to "teach" something,  but I have probably learned more from writing this blog about myself, activism and interacting with people in a public space than anybody else has learned about themselves or ideology. I dislike how most comments seem to be directed at me rather than the subjects I discuss, and how these discussions can turn into debates where we feel compelled to defend ourselves - this is just another way that language becomes more important than reality. The blog format seems to encourage performance; I don't think it's a great space for developing dialogues because conversations are static and oppositional. Still, I really appreciate everyone who has commented as I've learned a lot from your thoughts and reactions; please keep commenting.


A New Approach
So, where does this leave us? The current format is obviously no good - it is alienating, contradictory, oppressive education. But I don't want to give up on the social approach. Therefore, my plan is to abandon all plans, forget convention and expectation, and basically just put whatever I feel like up here. Right now, what this will look like is a media frenzy - different relevant videos, images, and information with minimal analysis from me. I want to encourage individual interpretation of what I present - I think this will stimulate more conversation in the blog and it will free me from the anxiety of having to present coherent, problematic summaries.

This will also take less time to put together, and free me up to be more productive in the real world. I think I will experiment with an imperfectly vegan lifestyle, and build a vermicultured (worm-filled) compost heap over the next week. These things sound like really fun, constructive experiments.

I'll also be developing a forum for students and other people interested in animal studies to publish their work, share links to media and news, and discuss things that interest them. This is proving a little more difficult than I initially thought it would be - hopefully I'll have it up within a week.

All right, that's enough words for now.

7 comments:

  1. I have one question-what is that animal thats the fourth image down on the right side of your background? Is it a real mini hippo frog, or a fake hippo frog created for our entertainment? I really need to know.

    Anyways, I enjoy spending the time to read your blog whenever facebook tells me you've added a new post, you think and write completely different than me, and its nice to be able to dip into your intellect on occasion. I agree that your writing style can be a bit extravagant at times, but its Reid-style and I like it. I would read your book, professor. Maybe take a page out of Hemingway's style? But only a page, I really think you are a fantastic writer and have provoking things to say.

    Now to actually comment on your subject. You noted that apathy is what allows structural violence to continue on and on, something I find quite interesting. All animals in general seem to be violent, humans on humans and animals against animals, humans against animals and animals against human. We just happen to be evolved intellectually to the point where we can systematically execute violence against each other and animals without difficulty. I believe that most people do not approve of physical cruelty, but doing nothing is incredibly easy. Kind of like our view on global warming. This is scarily similar to how the German civilians got duped into allowing Hitler to kill millions of people, without hardly protesting. Not that the Germans were bad people, but it just proves how apathy is deadly, like you said. I am sure you have seen this poem, but I'll post it anyways:

    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

    It is definitely much easier not to do anything. Thanks for giving some intelligent voice against animal cruelty thats not PETA. I know I am the biggest hypocrite ever, so I probably will immediately forget about everything you've said and continue to eat my Costco-purchased chicken in peace. Anways, even though some of your words sound like Prisenenscaolenya to me, keep writing. I'll try and abstain from killing a goat to make those gun shoes. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're promoting an incoherent social space of exchange, I'd like to throw out some thoughts I've run across about liberalism.

    I'm thinking of liberalism as inherited from those like Kant and Rousseau, in which religion is removed from philosophy, academia and politics. The reason I bring this up is because you said "what's more, structural violence against nonhuman animals is so prevalent and destructive (environmentally and morally) precisely because it is made invisible through layers of economic, visual, and linguistic mediation," and I wanted to open up discussion into whether or not this "made invisible" through "meditation" is due to a Christian-veiled liberalism?

    What I mean by Christian-veiled liberalism is that when Kant decided that the question of God, of Being is a hopeless question to ask in philosophy (and he removed it from his own work), he then turned to binaries: utilizing the subject-object binary as a relation from which to talk about most subjects (whether it is the sublime-beautiful in aesthetics, etc.), which of course was then used by Hegel to form the master-slave dialectic.

    What I'm suggesting is that these binary relationships are due to a philosophical inquiry that attempts to set aside the question of Being, which is an essential question, not only for those ancient Greeks who we owe much debt to, but also to many current literary theories and philosophies. For e.g. you mention that "my technique for exposing ideological contradictions has relied on classifying aspects of Master Subject ideology into distinct, separate realms that can [be] scrutinized and deconstructed," which I believe is due to the fact that binary-relations purposefully leave out the question of whether or not the other is presently revealing itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Kant proposed something like the League of Nations (now, the U.N.), he proposed it under a Christian-veiled liberalism that attempted to break the political-sphere into those who are for humanity (as in, maintaining peace by setting aside religious ideals for humanitarian ideals) and, in this way, he created a monstrous, beast-like political moral that attempts to cleanse the world of those against humanity: it's similar to a group of pacifists attempting to bring pacifism on others through violence. The problem is that by instituting this type of model, the U.N. (the allies who control it) can title any group of people, or person, as inhumane, as in they can, in a very serious way, decide who deserves to be treated like a human and who deserves to be treated like an animal, a beast that is a threat to humans, versus a human who is a threat to humans. What happens? If you are dubbed inhumane by the U.N. you have no borders to hide in, you have no law to fall under, you become an exception to the law like an animal. And how did all of this happen? It happened because, from my perspective, Kant separated the inquiry into Being from philosophy, and therefore broke the world into binaries that can be decided... by whom? By whoever is the Master, right?

    I don't have the time to more fully expand this, but, in short, what I hope to suggest is that 1) our culture justifies causing destruction upon the other because of Kant's hasty and arrogant putting-aside of the question of Being, which, has (during the enlightenment, and then carried into the founding of this country, where the constitution tries to entail a separation between state and religion [though you still put your hand over the bible in court to prove your oath to the country], which is still carried into the present political-sphere, in which the U.N. has just issued a no-fly zone over Libya [which is a slight lean towards Qaddafi as becoming a little too out of control, like an animal, though there is obviously many other political leanings in here, but basically it comes down to the fact that Qaddafi isn't submitting control to the Master-U.N., etc.), which has led to our country interacting with other countries through liberalistic ideals (I'm not talking party-politics, I'm talking separation of church and state) that ultimately leave us feeling justified in doing such arrogant things like colonialization, invading Iraq, sending air-craft carriers to the coast of Libya (basically, involving ourself within the whole world politics), etc. And another thing I'm suggesting is that 2) this doesn't necessarily mean our actions are wrong, as I'm just pointing out their origin, their motives, their structure (like you say), though I do hope to promote something along the lines of returning to the questions that result in stepping-back and considering the basis of an action, considering the basis of Being, considering the separation between man and animal, because maybe there's more than just man and animal, maybe there's a third form, or a fourth form of Being/being/other? that we are ignoring because of our choice to perpetuate binaries (an example is asexual beings like silkworms, or those jelly-fish who simply return to their fetal form once they "die[?]" and so on: those beings which defy the binaries that are used as pillars of identity).



    I hope this adds something. I can't write any more without further stimuli... please stir up what I've said. I apologize for ranting about politics, but it is what's currently on my palette: I hope I was able to properly connect it to the subjects under

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sydney – The hippo-frog was something I found while searching “animals” on Google images. It’s photoshopped. I put it up to think about control and spectacle. I think it’s interesting you were unsure of whether the froghippo existed or not – digital manipulation of images has made our perception of visual culture detached from reality – when we see an image, it’s nearly impossible to tell if it’s “real” or not. Considering that a lot of modern urban human interaction with animals is mediated through images, this is really scary because it allows people to disavow the reality of cruelty they might be presented with. To go even further, it means the animals that are captured within the borders of an image no longer need to exist in reality- the image is a reproducible, ideal object of spectacle – as perfect representations of their species, and as their reproduction into an image is unreal, the real animals behind the image (with their imperfections, individualities and agency outside of human control) become unreal.

    As for apathy – I think the best way to fight it in yourself and in the world is to see through the mediation – recognize that you are real, that the animals whose pain you profit from are real, and that you have significant power – economically, as an affluent consumer and socially/politically as an American whose voice matters globally and among your peers. These oppressive systems may seem massive and unmovable, but revolutions in thought have translated into significant economic and political revolutions worldwide at an accelerating pace in the past 400 years. I think this is mainly due to communication and transportation technologies – speaking and moving... So, thinking is key, but you have to take action if you don’t want the nationalists to destroy your home. You should watch EARTHLINGS if you haven’t already, and make the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen – These are some really intriguing thoughts. I appreciate that you took the time and energy to write them down.

    You obviously have a much stronger background in philosophy and Enlightenment thinkers in particular than I do. I haven’t encountered the question of Being much before, so I did a little Wikipedia-ing and here’s my initial reaction: existence, presence or Being vs nonexistence, absence or nonbeing seems to be the fundamental binary. It informs all other binaries – Being is privileged and exclusive, Nonbeing is degraded and inclusive (Nonbeing can exist without Being, but Being can’t be without Nonbeing). This gets really interesting when you see this Presence:Absence structure informing Male:Female roles (read: penis:vagina) as well as subject:object, human:animal, culture:nature…

    So to me, the question seems to ask, “why is there something instead of nothing?” or “how did something come out of nothing?” which is where religion comes in. God in the Christian worldview is the absolute Being, absolute Thought, Truth, Creator…So when Enlightenment thinkers decided to kill God and ignore the question of Being, and in its place constructed a bunch of binaries to understand themselves and the world, what they were really doing is hiding this essential binary within other binaries (subject:object, master:slave, culture:nature) – or maybe they found it within these preexisting social relations and worldviews, but didn’t realize it. In any case, I really like the phrase “Christian-veiled liberalism” because it reveals how deeply ingrained Christianity is into European norms of thinking and organizing, even as Christianity is degraded as irrational by these norms.

    I appreciate how you connect the theory to the “reality”, and I agree that returning to the question of Being is useful and maybe necessary towards trying to understand and fight destructive modes of thinking (that assume they are ahistorical and rational). But like you mention, I think it’s most interesting and constructive to see the binaries and step outside of them. I like to do this by unifying binaries, as in “all culture is natural”; or “all subjects are objects, distinction is arbitrary and serves the interests of power”. In terms of Being, this makes me wonder… can nonbeing or nothing exist? Is (chemical or physical) transformation of matter an interaction between Being and Nonbeing (like death and rebirth)? Does death really make our Being become Nonbeing? Can anything ever interact with nothing? My main problem with these questions is that Nothingness is always imagined – it’s definition suits the needs of the definer. And I don’t think the phrase “Nothing is” makes any sense. I understand this is a semantic problem, but still… I think the verb “to be” is a really powerful, oppressive word. You should check out the language E-Prime if you’re interested in making “to be” not be.

    Thanks for commenting again, this is some really interesting stuff, made me think about how problematic certain things I say and believe are. I appreciate that you want to cut through the mediation, bring the analysis back to the core questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the picture of the hoof shoe has haunted me for five days
    haunted and sickened

    ReplyDelete